Saturday, February 8, 2014

The Value of a Vacation

Vacations...we all need them, we all dream of them, we all worry about affording them.  



Just with anything you shop for, to get the best value you must put in some time and do your homework.  The internet has made this easier but I still find picking up the phone and calling one of the best ways to do my homework.  I like the beach so when I hit the internet and start searching for the best deals...the prices go up the longer I look.  Now this could be my imagination but I have found when I move to a different computer I can get those "first deals" I originally saw.  


So what do I do?  I pick up the phone and call.  Whether it's Apple Vacations, Yahoo Travel or one of the many other vacation sites I find calling gets me the best deals.  

I love the beach (have I mentioned that) so I call and say
1.  I want to go to the beach.
2.  I want all-inclusive.
3.  I don't want these areas.
4.  There are two adults and I don't want to spend more than $850.00 per person.
5.  Must be a minimum of seven nights.


It takes a bit of time but I have never been disappointed.  On one occasion I spent more than my $850.00 per person but I have to say it was WELL WORTH IT.  At that time we went to Cabo (Los Cabos) and stayed at Secrets Marquis so here's a little plug for them.  FANTASTIC VACATION! 


So how do you save for a vacation?  It's a simple trick that won't cost you a dime...

Whether you are one person or a family you can do this.  Decide where you want to go.  Print pictures of that destination out and decorate your vacation fund box. I suggest using a large water bottle. Loose change, a couple of bills add up quickly and let's be honest; if they are in your pocket or purse you are going to spend them on something you really don't need anyway, right.  


Imagine this decorated with the destination of your choice.  Each night you drop in your loose change and bills.  When it's full you cash it in. 

Here is where it gets dangerous...you have the money.  I always suggest turning it into a money order and placing in back into the jar.  Money orders are normally good for one year and if it's in the jar you can't easily get your hands on it. 

Continue until you have enough for your dream vacation.  It will happen before you know it!  

If you are a family planning on doing this imagine the fun you can have decorating this.  



We all want a vacation...but we also need a vacation.  They help us recharge our batteries and survive the daily grind of living.  

Where do you plan on going?

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?