Saturday, March 9, 2013

Spring forward: Time change means time to change your smoke detector batteries

The dreaded time change in the Spring.  Can we survive losing one hour of sleep?

Let's look at the time change a little different and it's not going to make it easier to adjust but it may save your life.

We have all been told to pick a day of the year to change the batteries in our smoke detectors and now we add our carbon monoxide detector to this list.

I don't know about you but the batteries in my smoke detector only get bad in the middle of the night. You hear that "chirping" that drives you CRAZY and if you have a dog who's ears are sensitive...that is even worse.

I did the "pick a day" to change the batteries and for the most part...I stuck with it. BUT...it never failed that one of my smoke detectors wouldn't make the year and at 3:00 am in the morning my 85 pound dog was up on my bed crying. So sleepy I had to find the step ladder and a battery and wait....."chirp" okay it's on the north side. Down to four smoke detectors it could be. "Chirp" where the heck is it coming from. (Dog still going crazy and NO HELP in determining which smoke detector needs a new battery.)

"Chirp" ahhhh found it. Climb the step ladder, change the battery and up the rest of the night.

So what do I do now? I change ALL of the batteries every time the time changes. It is now known as "Time to change" the batteries. This makes it simple because the news tells me to go to the store and stock up on batteries weeks before I need to change. How cool is that!

I don't have those 3:00 am wake up calls anymore because of the one bad battery in a thousand that I always seemed to have. Of course that one bad battery couldn't have been in the television remote...it was always in the smoke detector.

Aside from the annoyance I am happy I have smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in my home. They are there to save my life, my family's life and the life of my pets so twice a year I change the batteries in the daytime, without the chirping and awake.







Like Zeisler & Associates, Attorney at Law, PC on Facebook or visit their website

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?